2.04.2010

Week One - Discussion of Homework


"Enjoy Life - it's not a rehearsal!"
...those are the words atop a notepad where I was scribbling notes while studying this week. I am not sure where the notepad came from, but it was just something to write on. As I started listing the things I had learned during this week's homework I kept looking up at those words. I thought wow, how profound! If I were a non believer I might take a different spin on it, but since I am a Christian I saw it mesh into what I had learned this week:

*Have an Eternal Mindset
*Follow the Sovereign Will of God
*Share the Grace, Mercy and Peace God has so Lovingly Given You
*Praise the Lord
*Be Joyful in Raising your Children for the Lord

All of these concepts wrap up so beautifully into mothering our children. First, having an eternal mindset on everything teaches our children to keep their eyes on heaven and not worldly possessions. Today's society can easily warp our minds into thinking that more is better. I do not want the world's ideas to rub off on myself or my children. I want to have an eternal mindset so that my girls will also prayerfully inherit that as well.

"But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:11-12a

On day two we discuss God's will. Jean's spin on God's will really impacted me a few years ago when I was so OVERPROTECTIVE of my new baby, thinking NOTHING would harm her. This lesson helped me realize that she was God's baby and that HE had a plan for her life, and that I could rest safely in HIS arms knowing that HIS will was better than my own!
"The steps of a man are established by the LORD, And He delights in his way." Psalm 37:23

GRACE, MERCY, PEACE! I was convicted by this lesson that I need to give these away more freely! Especially in mothering!
"But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)," Ephesians 2:4-5

One of my favorite verses that we discussed on day four sums up "Passionate Prayers" so well.
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
We have so many "needs", but we also must first give Him thanks. We have SOOO many things to be thankful for! Jean writes, "Spend time praising the Lord without asking for anything. Focus on Him completely, and you will find the joy of the Lord resonating within your soul."

I have recently been teaching my girls the verse, "..the joy of the LORD is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10
Many days I must remember this as a mother. I am here to teach them the Joy of the Lord, I am here to be in joyful in this position God has given me!

I did not mean to ramble through each day, but I just thought I needed to hit on something in particular that that spoke to me as we study about Timothy. What did you learn? What did God teach you this week?

1 comment:

  1. I love how Jean immediately points us to the importance of pursuing a personal relationship with God and focusing our minds on things above and not on things of this earth. I know that it's only after I do these things that I can be the godly mom He has called me to be.

    I especially appreciated the reminder in Rom. 12:1-2 that it requires devotion and discipline to know and do the will of God (p.24). And the added reminder that part of that discipline is spending time in prayer/communication with the Lord, allowing me to line up with his plans and purposes (p.37). I want to be found faithful in my prayer life.

    One of my favorite things to do is pray God's word. I love reading his word, searching for scripture that relate to a particular need or a particular person in my life that I'm praying for. What a joy to pray with the confidence that comes from knowing that we are praying His will when we pray His word.

    And of course, as Jean so faithfully does, I loved the reminder of the importance of our roles as mother. The ability we have to leave a lasting impact in the life of our child for the glory of God. What a privilege to have these built in disciples. Our church had a guest speaker this week who pointed out that Jesus poured himself intimately into the lives of twelve disciples and look at the impact that made on our entire world! It reminded me again, that although as mommies we sometimes feel insignificant, like we aren't making that much of a difference at home tending to children, it's the impact those children, and your children's children will make on this earth that we have the privilege of influencing for Christ! What a blessing and truly what a holy occupation we have!

    ReplyDelete